Squared Circle Pit

Squared Circle Pit
THE REAL ROCK N' WRESTLING CONNECTION!

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Ramones and Dee Dee King's - "The Crusher"

I discovered this tune written and sung by Dee Dee (and co-written by the proflic writer/producer Daniel Rey) on some random blog (ugh, I forget where) of Ramones rarties. Keep in mind this is not a cover of the song I put in the first post. Check out the lyrics, Dee Dee even makes reference to his horrible (but amusing) hip-hop tune "Funky Man". The Russian Bear is probably Ivan Koloff who wrestled in the late 60's-early 70's era of the then World Wide Wrestling Federation of Vince MacMahon Sr. Given that Dee & the other Ramones are from Queens which was once part of the WWWF territory, I'd think it's very likely.

Here's the original that Dee Dee released on his first solo full-length, Standing In The Spotlight (1989).I like this one better as it comes off rawer and more from the gut.


This is an awesome fan-made video of the Ramones version that appeared on their final studio album Adios Amigos (1995) which had C.J. instead of Dee Dee on bass & vocals. The imagery in here is really on point - lots of great clips featuring the real Crusher, Jerry "The King" Lawler, and Ivan "The Russian Bear" Koloff. A few of the clips of the real Crusher are from the movie The Wrestler   (not to be confused with the equally excellent Mickey Rourke movie).





"Now I wanna wrestle in the garden
I'm on my way to stardom
I know I'm ready I know I'm great
But first I have to get in shape

Cause I've got my eyes on the Russian Bear
Gonna tear him up I swear
This guy thinks he's the champion
Gonna take his belt and beat him!

I'm the crusher king of the ring

I'm ready for a match with the Russian Bear
Gonna pile drive him pull his hair
I might have a foreign object in my trunks
I might have to use on that punk

Got the hardest hold you can put on anyone
If you're my victim you're beaten
I'm a lean mean fighting machine
Powerful and strong like King Kong

I'm the crusher king of the ring

Started having second thought I was scared as hell
The last thing I wanted was to hear them ring the bell
I mean the Russian Bear could probably
tear me limb from limb
He'd probably grin be real happy with himself
This is not good for my health
I'm not coming out of the dressing room
And get beaten up by that goon

Go back to Russia go back home!
Don't wanna get a broken bone
Or a lump on my head
Ain't gonna hide under the bed

I'm the crusher king of the ring

I'm the Crusher"

No comments:

Post a Comment